Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Timetable evaluation]

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Timetable evaluation]
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:54:25 -0400

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 04:47:28AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What I suggest is that you start a practice of recontacting the person
> again when he fails to respond.  You could use our reminder system to
> automate this; that way, it will be easy.  You could say, "We were
> talking about putting your project on Savannah.  We're still waiting
> for some information from you so that we can make the decision.  We
> want to see the source code so we can verify you're using a license
> that we support.  Would you like to send the source code now?"

I do not think we should run after them.  We already give them
resources to develop their software and we only ask that their
software is free software and does not rely on non free software.

If someone wants to use our resources, they should make the effort to
comply with our requirements.

The only thing we can do -- I think -- is make their use of your
resources as problem less as possible, and make the registration
process as problem less as possible.  But in the end it is up to the
user to comply with our requirements.

Once they have met our requirements they can count on our help too.

I think it is more useful to spend our time on such problems as making
Savannah run better and project moderation than spend our time on
running after people double asking, or asking three times.

It is a petty that we now spend more than 50% of our time sending out
messages to projects that don't meet our requirements, while it is
clearly mentioned on Savannah what they need to comply with.

Web page                    http:/www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org