Re: [Savannah-hackers] Time for a news item?

From: Alexander (Sasha) Wait
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Time for a news item?
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:14:27 -0400

Elfyn, Michael, Sylvain,

I would love to help Savannah; I offered to help many months ago but
received no reply.  I'm interested primarily in supporting the GNU
system and in particular in GNU arch, web access (to the ARCH
repository) and signed GPG  (ARCH) changesets and the over-all plan to
transition to GForge.

I understand there are higher priorities from
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2004-06/msg00101.html

Since there are plenty of other services (most obviously
http://gna.org) that offer what Savannah used to offer it might be
nice if the GNU project's own revision control system was a larger
focus here.

I know there are other people interested in ARCH support:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2004-06/msg00016.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-11/msg00615.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers/2003-08/msg00072.html

Clearly the break-in last year slowed all this down but from August to
December 2003 ARCH was not the first priority at Savannah either.
Perhaps now with the departure of Mathieu Roy (aka GNA)  there are
other people (me for one) that want to place it higher on the list?

Sasha
http://genetics.med.harvard.edu/~await

PS. I know there has been some acrimonious discussion on this list of
late; I'm used to it.  I've used free software commercially since
1993.  My supervisor likes to say "It's not such a good thing to be
ahead of your time."    (eg. search for "linux gnu guru" at Google
groups. )