Installation

From: Zafar Iqbal
Subject: Installation
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:23:02 +0100 (BST)

I am trying to install the binary version of swarm-1.1 on
solaris. In the 'Release' web page at santa-fe it says that
this binary was built using Tcl7.6, Tk4.2, BLT2.3,
tclobjc1.3, libffi-1.17. However in Makefile.conf it says :
### OTHERLIBDIRS needs to be set so Swarm can find X11, Tcl, Tk, BLT,
###   tclobjc, and objc libs. Note: we use the file libtcl.a, not libtcl7.4.a
###   Insure that libtcl.a is really tcl7.4, libtk.a is really tk4.0.

on the system that I'm using gcc2.7.2 is installed but not
tcl/tk or any other such software. Which versions should I
install?
Also libffi-1.17 is absent from the needed software web
page. Where can I get this? The other versions like Tcl7.6
are slightly different (specifically tcl7.6.p2). Do I need
to download tcl7.6 and the others from the sunsite?

Would it be better to start again, using the source
version? if so which versions should I use?

I have downloaded tcl7.4 and tk4.0 from the sunsite but
after installation the X11 or Xlib.h were absent. Does this
come with BLT?

When it comes to changing the variables OTHERINCDIRS,
OTHERLIBDIRS in Makefile.conf can they point to multiple
places? because when I install tcl and tk they end up in
different directories. Is the solution to move all these
files in one directory?
Note I can only install files in my home directory i.e.
/home/zi197

        Zafar

          Zafar Iqbal, Msc Arch. Computing, Dept. of Archaeology,
          University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ,UK
          E-mail: address@hidden
          Web site: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~zi197/