Re: Installation

From: Zafar Iqbal
Subject: Re: Installation
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:01:49 +0100 (BST)

On 09 May 1998 17:21:48 -0700 "Marcus G. Daniels"
<address@hidden> wrote:

MD> All you should need to do is gunzip/untar the binary
>distribution, point
> your app to it (either by hacking its Makefile or setting the SWARMHOME
> environment variable), and run `make'.

> ZI> However in Makefile.conf it says:
>
> ### OTHERLIBDIRS needs to be set so Swarm can find X11, Tcl, Tk, BLT,
> ###   tclobjc, and objc libs. Note: we use the file libtcl.a, not libtcl7.4.a
> ###   Insure that libtcl.a is really tcl7.4, libtk.a is really tk4.0.
>
> This relates to source builds.  The comment is obsolete; I've now
> updated it.  Thanks.
>
> ZI> When it comes to changing the variables OTHERINCDIRS,
> ZI> OTHERLIBDIRS in Makefile.conf can they point to multiple
> ZI> places?
>
> Certainly (but, again, this is for a source build).

In that case it would be helpful to update not only the
Makefile instructions but also FAQ's and README files,
because they instruct the beginner who downloads the binary
versions to give pathnames for OTHERINCDIRS, OTHERLIBDIRS.

After setting the SWARMHOME variable OR hacking the
Makefile for any application (to
/home/zi197/swarm/swam-1.1), I get the error message:
make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 2: Unexpected end of line seen

Paul I tried the faq_manager software, The buttons 'How Do
I...'& 'Back To Document' don't seem to do anything (I'm
using netscape 3.03 gold on a PC).

Zafar

          Zafar Iqbal, Msc Arch. Computing, Dept. of Archaeology,
          University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ,UK
          E-mail: address@hidden
          Web site: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~zi197/