Re: RPMs for R; question about HDf5 compiling, gcc egcs etc

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: RPMs for R; question about HDf5 compiling, gcc egcs etc
Date: 08 Feb 1999 13:29:18 -0800

PJ> If I upgraded
PJ> just gcc to 2.8.1, but left egcs alone, could I expect my swarm
PJ> stuff to be OK since swarm is compiled with egcs?

I'm not aware of any GCC interoperability problems besides the
conflict that often occurs with objc_malloc conflicts with versions
of same in tclobjc.  That's not really a GCC conflict, but a change
in the Objective C support library that occured with version 2.8.
As far as I know GCC 2.8 and EGCS > 1.0 are compatible for this application.

PJ> And If I do upgrade gcc to 2.8.1, will people who still have the
PJ> 2.7.xx gcc be able to use my HDF5 rpms?

It's possible.  The only way to know for sure is to try.  On a
GNU/Linux box there are all sorts of potential problems with
libc5/glibc2/libstdc++/gcc interoperability (that are slowly but
surely getting sorted out).

PJ> And If I upgrade gcc to 2.8.1, can I compile kernels without it?
PJ> Last I checked, the 2.7.xx gcc was the only officially approved
PJ> compiler.??

I don't know how Redhat is set up, but there is nothing about GCC that
prevents you from having gcc 2.7.2.3, gcc 2.8.1, egcs-1.0.3, and egcs-1.1
all on the same system.