Re: RPMs for R; question about HDf5 compiling, gcc egcs etc

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: RPMs for R; question about HDf5 compiling, gcc egcs etc
Date: 08 Feb 1999 16:34:58 -0800

SME> When you suggest that's possible are you
SME> suggesting renaming gcc to gcc2.7.2 and gcc2.8.1 etc.

I usually do it like this:

CC='gcc -V 2.7.2.3' ./configure

SME> If you could advise me how it's possible to have gcc2.8.1 and
SME> gcc2.7.2 coexist I'd be appreciative.

Well, you can always build them from source, using a --prefix of
/usr/local (the default) or some other out-of-the-way place.  If, due
to different configurations, e.g. g77, and you want different `gcc'
drivers, you can install to different places and refer to the driver
by absolute path, e.g. CC=/packages/development/gcc/bin/gcc and
CC=/packages/development/egcs/bin/gcc.