Real time event scheduling?

From: Sorin Lerner
Subject: Real time event scheduling?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 22:13:59 -0500

Hi,

Does SWARM support real time event scheduling? For example, suppose I
would like to get a step method called on a set of objects at 100ms
intervals. Does SWARM provide a framework for doing such things?

The reason I am asking is that we are trying to build a platform for
modelling soccer playing agents in SWARM. Our simulation will contain 11
players (each one a swarm object) and a soccer field (another swarm
object). For the moment, our soccer field object uses the services of the
soccer simulator from RoboCup (see http://www.robocup.v.kinotrope.co.jp/
for details). Later, we anticipate to incorporate other simulators,
probably more geared towards physical robots. The problem is that right
now the RoboCup simulator (which runs in a different process) operates in
discrete simulation cycles, which are by default 100ms. This means that
our players can send commands to the server every 100ms, and that's the
reason we would like to have real time scheduling. We could use alarms
for this purpose, but I want to first investigate if there isn't a way of
doing this with SWARM actions.

Thank you for the help,

Sorin