Re: IRIX and libffi problems (still!)

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: IRIX and libffi problems (still!)
Date: 09 Oct 1999 16:48:18 -0700

JG> I'm still having a problem getting libffi installed on irix-- how
JG> do I set the compiler to be gcc IN IRIX 6.5

CC=gcc ./configure

JG> and what is the o32/n32 thing mean?

IRIX has a bunch of executable formats, you have to make sure you stick
with one for all your builds.  n32 is the common one.

Here's the script I use to build a non-Java version on Irix 6.5:

#!/bin/sh
SWARMSRCDIR=$S/swarm-1999-10-09
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc CFLAGS=-O2 $SWARMSRCDIR/configure --srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR
--prefix=$P/swarm/swarm --with-pngdir=$P/swarm/png --with-zlibdir=$P/swarm/zlib
--with-ffidir=$P/development/libffi --without-jdkdir --datadir=$DATADIR
--without-hdf5dir --with-tcldir=$P/swarm/tcl8.2 --with-tkdir=$P/swarm/tk8.2
--with-bltdir=$P/swarm/blt2.4 --with-xpmlibdir=/usr/lib32
make

Let me take it apart:

1) SWARMSRCDIR=$S/swarm-1999-10-09
   I want to build outside of the source tree, so I set an variable
   to use later to refer to the source tree.

2) CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
   I explicitly name the compiler I want.

3) CFLAGS=-O2
   gcc on IRIX has trouble with debugging symbols, so here I override
   the default of -O2 -g.

4) $SWARMSRCDIR/configure
   Run the configure script found in the source tree.

5) --srcdir=$SWARMSRCDIR
   Configure needs to know where to find the source tree.  Merely
   running the script from some directory doesn't necessarily imply
   that the location of the script is the same as the source tree.

6) --prefix=$P/swarm/swarm
   In my environment I set the environment variable P (for "packages")
   to where I install things in my local account.  I have a Swarm related
   subtree and then the swarm install area itself inside of that.

7) --with-pngdir=$P/swarm/png --with-zlibdir=$P/swarm/zlib
   I have local installs of the portable network graphics (PNG) and zlib
   compression library.  (They happen to be installed elsewhere on this
   particular system, but they are not built as shared libraries, and I
   want shared libraries in order to make Swarm loadable into a Java
   runtime.)

8) --with-ffidir=$P/development/libffi
   IRIX needs to use libffi, which works better with MIPS than avcall.

9) --without-jdkdir
   The Java layer isn't yet working quite right with IRIX.

10) --datadir=$DATADIR
   Files that go in datadir are files that are architecture neutral.
   For example, Java jar files and documentation.  In some environments
   it is desirable to store these files on a single network filesystem
   so as to avoid duplication.  Most people won't need to use this option.

11) --without-hdf5dir
   I just wanted to ensure things were working, so I didn't bother with HDF5.

12) --with-tcldir=$P/swarm/tcl8.2 --with-tkdir=$P/swarm/tk8.2
--with-bltdir=$P/swarm/blt2.4
   I did local installs of the latest Tcl, Tk (www.scriptics.com),
   and BLT (ftp.tcltk.com/pub/blt).

13) --with-xpmlibdir=/usr/lib32
   Get the XPM with the right executable format.