IRIX and Swarm-2.0.1

From: Jayshree Sarma
Subject: IRIX and Swarm-2.0.1
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:50:34 -0400

"Marcus G. Daniels" wrote:

>    gcc on IRIX has trouble with debugging symbols, so here I override
>    the default of -O2 -g.

   Is this a general statement (debugging symbols) with respect to the
  IRIX machines? Does this mean that we cannot use gdb on IRIX to debug
  objc applications?

> 7) --with-pngdir=$P/swarm/png --with-zlibdir=$P/swarm/zlib
>    I have local installs of the portable network graphics (PNG) and zlib
>    compression library.  (They happen to be installed elsewhere on this
>    particular system, but they are not built as shared libraries, and I
>    want shared libraries in order to make Swarm loadable into a Java
>    runtime.)

   Unlike the previous versions of swarm, the different needed software
have
to be installed as shared libraries, is this correct?  Again is this a
requirement
only on IRIX or do we need to install the reqired software as shared
libraries
on Linux, NT, windows etc.?

Thanks,

Jayshree Sarma