Re: IRIX and Swarm-2.0.1

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: IRIX and Swarm-2.0.1
Date: 12 Oct 1999 09:40:24 -0700

JS>   Does this mean that when I use configure I have to set the
JS> shared library flag on (static library seems to be the default on
JS> most of these software)?

With most packages, shared libraries are the default if a system
supports them.  zlib and png are not like this, though.

To configure zlib for shared libraries use "configure --shared".

To build png with shared libraries, install libtool, and use a
makefile like below.  Libtool is at
ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/developers-software.

CC=gcc
# where make install puts libpng.a, libpng.so*, and png.h
prefix=$(P)/swarm/png
libdir=$(prefix)/lib
includedir=$(prefix)/include

# Where the zlib library and include files are located
#ZLIBLIB=/usr/local/lib
#ZLIBINC=/usr/local/include
ZLIBLIB=$(P)/swarm/zlib/lib
ZLIBINC=$(P)/swarm/zlib/include

WARNMORE=-Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith -Wshadow \
         -Wmissing-declarations -Wtraditional -Wcast-align \
         -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes #-Wconversion

#CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops
CFLAGS=-I$(ZLIBINC) -Wall
LDFLAGS=-L$(ZLIBLIB) -lpng -lz -lm

#RANLIB=ranlib
RANLIB=echo

# read libpng.txt or png.h to see why PNGMAJ is 2.  You should not
# have to change it.
PNGMAJ = 2
PNGMIN = 1.0.3
PNGVER = $(PNGMAJ).$(PNGMIN)

OBJS = png.o pngset.o pngget.o pngrutil.o pngtrans.o pngwutil.o \
       pngread.o pngrio.o pngwio.o pngwrite.o pngrtran.o \
       pngwtran.o pngmem.o pngerror.o pngpread.o

OBJSDLL = $(OBJS:.o=.lo)

.SUFFIXES:      .c .o .lo

.c.lo:
        libtool --mode=compile $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) -fPIC $*.c

all: libpng.a libpng.la pngtest

libpng.a: $(OBJS)
        ar rc $@ $(OBJS)
        $(RANLIB) $@

libpng.la: $(OBJSDLL)
        libtool --mode=link     $(CC) -version-info $(PNGMAJ):0:0 -o libpng.la
-rpath $(libdir) $(OBJSDLL)

pngtest: pngtest.o libpng.la
        libtool --mode=link $(CC) -o pngtest $(CFLAGS) pngtest.o libpng.la
$(LDFLAGS)

test: pngtest
        ./pngtest

install: libpng.a libpng.la
        address@hidden $(includedir) $(libdir)
        cp png.h pngconf.h $(includedir)
        chmod 644 $(includedir)/png.h $(includedir)/pngconf.h
        libtool --mode=install cp libpng.la $(libdir)
        cp libpng.a $(libdir)
        libtool --mode=finish $(libdir)

clean:
        /bin/rm -f *.o *.lo libpng.a libpng.la pngtest pngout.png .libs/*

# DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE -- make depend depends on it.

png.o png.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngerror.o pngerror.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngrio.o pngrio.lo: png.h pngconf.h
pngwio.o pngwio.lo: png.h pngconf.h