Swarm for Windows Spin Control! (Re: Swarm 2.1 available

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Swarm for Windows Spin Control! (Re: Swarm 2.1 available
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:49:09 -0600

Charles Staelin wrote:

> While we're on emacs, the .emacs file with Swarm 2.1 uses
> the variable "use-jdk" to (I think) determine whether to use
> the Sun JDK or Kaffe.  I don't see, however, where or how
> that is set.
>
> Charles

Before this gets out of hand...

The Swarm CD can install swarm-2.1 which includes a bunch of unix tool
that were previously used from the Cygnus toolkit.  Actually, swarm-2.1
includes many more unix tools, including perl.  Its also got jikes, a
super fast java compiler.  It seems to have about everything.  But IT
DOES NOT INSTALL EMACS itself.

Neither the swarm-2.1.exe you get from the internet nor the one on the
CD will automatically install Emacs.

You have to do that separately.  There is a version of Emacs on the CD
that Marcus has "fancied up" with a few extra lisp packages, including
the highly though-of jde (java development environment). The name of
that file is emacs-20.5.exe in the swarm ftp (which has a great new
layout, I must stay).

If you install emacs from the Emacs site, you don't have jde
automatically. But when you run emacs, it will complain about lines in
your .emacs that look for jde.

The .emacs file shipped with swarm-2.1 assumes you are running the same
Emacs setup that it distributes, so it has load commands for the java
development environment, jde.  On my system, I already have Emacs 20.6
(one notch newer than the swarm cd), so I do not install the Swarm Emacs
and I have to get the jde from its web site and install it like a
regular emacs package.  Then I have to tailor my .emacs file so it knows
where to find my copy of the jde.  (Actually, I used that spiffy
"customize" think in the emacs help menu).

If your emacs won't start because of the jde related commands in your
.emacs from swarm-2.1, you can just comment out the jde related lines
and it works fine. Alternatively, install the jde and use it.

In the .emacs file, what I see concerning Kaffe and JDK is a set of
hooks that work for the jde environment.  Since I don't do java yet, I
can't tell you much about how to control which java kit your swarm
program uses or where you should install the Sun JDK so that swarm can
find it.