Re: problem making swarm2.1.1 (redhat 6.0) -- the gcc patch

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: problem making swarm2.1.1 (redhat 6.0) -- the gcc patch
Date: 21 Jul 2000 09:16:07 -0700

>>>>> "RLR" == Rick Riolo <address@hidden> writes:

RLR> Do I still need it with gcc 2.95.2 ?

Otherwise, depending on the binutils you have, you may get linker
warnings.

RLR> (If so, any chance you can get them to include it in some future
RLR> version of gcc?)

Basically, I don't want to get sucked-in to Objective C compiler
maintenance.  The fix accomodates a rather fragile approach to
getting the linker to pull-in classes using named references by providing
actual referents for the references.

If I get the fix installed, then I'll be reinforcing a design I don't
like (and probably one other people don't either).  I believe this
will result in questions from unhappy hackers.  I don't want questions
and I don't want unhappy hackers.

As I see it, the people in the Swarm community that care are the
people building from source.  However, Build From Source folks will
have GCC 2.95.2 and a CVS checkout sitting on their fastest hard drive
at all times, and can just have the patch applied.  Everybody else
can and should use binaries.

That being said, if someone else feels like reading the patch and
submitting it to the GCC maintainers, please don't let me stop you.