Re: Again: "A Cygwin, Swarm or Java error?"

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Again: "A Cygwin, Swarm or Java error?"
Date: 25 Nov 2002 12:32:33 -0800

Jan> Hi again, no, that was not the remedy for my problem. Thanks
Jan> though!  I still get the same error message with "javaswarm
Jan> StartHeatbugs". I also typed in -just for a try- "make", I got
Jan> the same error

Jan> [...]  eval: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string make:
Jan> *** [all] Error 2

Jan> Any other suggestions?

It would help if you included the complete output from "make", rather
than eliding it, because I can't see exactly what has happened.

Given that you are using Cygwin, and the fact that it happens on
several different kinds of files, I might hazard a guess that you may
have DOS/Unix carriage-return/line-feed problem.  When you got the
original tar.gz file did you use Cygwin's tar to decompress or use one
of the Windoze tools?

I recommend using "tar zxvf" in a Cygwin terminal.  Cygwin can deal
with Unix files directly, but if you've decompressed as a Windows
file, it may be trying to read the file as a Unix file when in fact,
it's a Windows file.

A.
--
      Alex Lancaster |  Swarm Development Group  |  http://www.swarm.org