RE: Do you program in Objective-C?

From: Marshall, James A R
Subject: RE: Do you program in Objective-C?
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:33:12 -0000

Willi,
  I've used both over the past few years. Objective C is a nice way to
program in Swarm, primarily because it is the original language for Swarm
but also because it has some nice features that Java doesn't provide so
easily, mainly to do with message passing and phased object creation.
  On the other hand when I started using Objective C I found resources like
tutorials hard to find. Java is clearly much better in this regard although
Objective C may have more resources now since Max OS X is developed in it?
Also using Java makes it easier to find a nice IDE, I'm not
brave/masochistic enough to try emacs again.
  I now use Java and I think the main frustration is it's not had time to
shake down so thoroughly which can cause headaches during model development.
I also find the Java interface to the Swarm libraries a bit messy compared
to the Objective C version, mainly to do with putting in support for phased
object creation I think. Other than that it's fine.
        James

---
Dr James A R Marshall
Complex Systems Modelling Group (COSMIC)
Department of Earth Science and Engineering
Imperial College, London
Tel: +44 (0)20 7594 7493
Fax: +44 (0)20 7594 7444
Container World Project - http://www.ese.ic.ac.uk/research/containerworld/