Re: Do you program in Objective-C?

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Do you program in Objective-C?
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:06:30 -0700

I wonder why the swarm team has not considered Python when they started programming swarm. Maybe because it is interpreted.

What do you think: If I manage to create a port for Python (like the Java one), would someone else would like to use it, or will it be too slow?

Long ago, I did get some test programs running via the Python XPCOM layer to Swarm. Look around in the swarm-support archives for details, I think they were posted here. The Python support in XPCOM (Mozilla) is more mature now, and part of Mozilla proper, and I think it would work fine, once the XPCOM libraries for Swarm were built (the COM/ subdirectory in the Swarm distribution). The XPCOM interface works in a similar way to the Java interface.