Re: Do you program in Objective-C?

From: gepr
Subject: Re: Do you program in Objective-C?
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:08:02 -0800

Willi Richert writes:
 > As it seems to me now the main point for objective c is this variable
 > binding
 > at runtime and this message passing thing.

Also the introspection abilities.

 > I wonder why the swarm team has not considered Python when they started
 > programming swarm. Maybe because it is interpreted.

I think the most fundamental reason for this would be that Python was pretty
new (1.0.0 in Jan '94) when Swarm got started.  The fact that it was
interpretive instead of compiled might have played some role; but,
Objective-C is, to some extent, interpretive as well.

 > What do you think: If I manage to create a port for Python (like the Java
 > one), would someone else would like to use it, or will it be too slow?

Yes, I think there are people who would like to use it.  It may be
too slow; but, like all models, the speed depends on what one is
doing in the model, not, per se, on the language being used.

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr