Re: Do you program in Objective-C?

From: Willi Richert
Subject: Re: Do you program in Objective-C?
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:39:42 +0100

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 11:33, Marshall, James A R wrote:
> Willi,
>   I've used both over the past few years. Objective C is a nice way to
> program in Swarm, primarily because it is the original language for Swarm
> but also because it has some nice features that Java doesn't provide so
> easily, mainly to do with message passing and phased object creation.
>   On the other hand when I started using Objective C I found resources like
> tutorials hard to find. Java is clearly much better in this regard although
> Objective C may have more resources now since Max OS X is developed in it?
> Also using Java makes it easier to find a nice IDE, I'm not
> brave/masochistic enough to try emacs again.
>   I now use Java and I think the main frustration is it's not had time to
> shake down so thoroughly which can cause headaches during model
> development. I also find the Java interface to the Swarm libraries a bit
> messy compared to the Objective C version, mainly to do with putting in
> support for phased object creation I think. Other than that it's fine.
>       James

As it seems to me now the main point for objective c is this variable binding
at runtime and this message passing thing.

I wonder why the swarm team has not considered Python when they started
programming swarm. Maybe because it is interpreted.

What do you think: If I manage to create a port for Python (like the Java
one), would someone else would like to use it, or will it be too slow?

wr

--
.(sic!)nature