Re: Multithreading question

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Multithreading question
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:01:40 -0700

What I've seen about hyperthreading suggests that you'll probably get some
performance boost without special libraries; how much is never generalizable in
these cases (hyperthreading is optimized to accelerate Windows API threads, not
necessarily 3rd party apps).  Whether you can get more boost with a
hyperthread-aware library I dunno, but I would certainly expect so.

A hyperthreaded Pentium 4 system will look like two Pentium 4s. Whether the system has the performance of a dual processor machine depends on whether or not one thread has inherent waits from outside, such that the other can be freed up to do work. If the two processors are `cooperating' on a problem, there is the possibility of super-linear speedups because the two virtual CPUs share the same instruction and data cache, whereas two physical processors would not.. An example of such an opportunity (very weakly) might be a Java/Swarm model where the Swarm simulation filled up a buffer and a Java thread took responsibility for emptying it (say, as a moving average datapoint).