RE: Multithreading question

From: Darold Higa
Subject: RE: Multithreading question
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:54:45 -0800

Wow, thanks for all of the optimization tips.  I will definately give them a
try.  Keep in mind that these "benchmarks" I'm talking about were for a very
simple simulation that we used for that article some time ago.  It sounds like
the data I was writing to the console for my co-author was the cuplrit.  There
wasn't much of it, but it was probably enough to cause the performance hit he
asked me about.  For my current simulation run I know a lot of my slowdown
comes from I/O so I cannot avoid that.  The data collection for movies is
pretty important for the kinds of simulations I am running.  Even when I turn
hard disk access off and turn off 90% of the rasters, and even only display
every 10th frame, it still takes a long time once my agent count gets high.

I started thinking about doing larger simulation runs for a paper based on my
existing simulation in order to create a larger diveristy of competing agent
strategies.  The problem is that with so many agents, even with very optimized
code the simulation would take very long periods of time to execute.  In other
words, I want to think about scalability.

One friend of mine mentioned distributed processing as a possible solution.  He
volunteered to help me with this, but I wanted to come to the community first
to see how big a hole I was digging for myself.  My first priority is to get
some articles out so I can get a position somewhere, so that is why I'm sending
out these feelers... :)

Darold Higa