Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm D

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:37:07 -0800

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> The idea with the multilanguage layer was to freeze the Swarm interfaces
> and then start implementing or reimplementing different pieces using
> best-of-the breed tools.

Actually, the idea of the multilanguage layer was to implement something
our user community asked for.  You should remember that we began the
java layer before we hired you into the sfi.  You bitched often and loud
about how badly our java layer sucked.

>  Basically what Mono (http://www.go-mono.com)
> or .NET does.   That way there could be a smooth transition to
> autonomous development groups we'd get a way from the Objective C lock,

And it wasn't to "get away from" objective-c.  It was simply to support
our users.

> and the lock on me (you know, the one you say I engineer and desire and
> maniacally profit from).

True enough.  It's odd that we haven't gotten away from either the
objective-c lock or your lock.

Seek simplicity, and distrust it. -- Alfred North Whitehead