Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership in Swarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:56:43 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
The PS3 is an interesting value.  You can just use the PS3 as a 9
processor Linux machine.  Check it out:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com

So what?  There are many gadgets that have interesting value.  But, that
doesn't mean the SDG should spend the little energy it has on porting to
them.
One problem people have complained about is runtime. It's certainly a problem I've had and one I care about.
You're correct, however, that they aren't motivated by the return on
their investment because the investment is very high.  And we don't know
what their return might be because they can't invest enough to use it!
I can go round and round with you one what really amounts to an foolish act of faith on your part. A best effort was made by the Swarm project and dedicated users to make it usable and it's not something I ever saw a `pull' for.
My point was that there are some requirements for Swarm that it fails to
meet.  And adding new features to the current software is a waste of
money.  Hence, a better use of the SDG's resources is to either build a
good reference implementation (not the current albatross) that meets the
requirements set forth for Swarm _or_ abandon the idea of supporting a
reference implementation altogether.
Everything takes work. Moving a legacy system forward takes work but it can and has been done with Swarm. It could be done again. I don't think Swarm is particularly unique in this respect compared to other packages. The urge to forget and move on to the another ungrounded fantasy world on can be a strong one.

Why you are so fixated on original requirements of Swarm is unclear. All software projects evolve. There's no requirement that requirements stay fixed. I'd say that's a very bad sign, actually. As far Swarm being a reference implementation goes, I think it achieves that. It implements composable activities, concurrency controls, it has test cases for those features, and we made a longstanding effort to ensure it worked. Not all the ideas got implemented, but there were multiple priorities in play, e.g. the Java support which you promised we would implement. Even very arguable features like phases were endured and made to work in a language neutral way.

No, a foolish use of money would be to write yet another Swarm-like thing, especially in the name of `original requirements'.

Marcus