Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm D

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:21:36 -0600

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
No, a foolish use of money would be to write yet another Swarm-like
thing, especially in the name of `original requirements'.

Allrighty then!  So much for my opinion having an impact on the
direction of the SDG.

I don't even understand why this discussion is going on. If somebody wants to do some work, go ahead. Otherwise, not. I need Obj-C Swarm to do my work and will help to maintain it and keep it up to date and make RPMS and maintain the swarmapps-objc. If people add stuff into Swarm, that's fine, as long as my things still work. You could eliminate Windows as a platform, I would not care, and I don't care if people can write things in Java. But I need the classic Swarm to run and I'm willing to keep trying to make it run.

Now, as for the claim that Swarm itself is over-engineered, I would respond this way. When I started with Swarm, before Marcus came on the scene, I could not get Swarm built in Linux. Building Swarm was a completely non-standard experience, and none of the GNU concepts of software packaging were used. It would have been literally impossible to build an RPM of Swarm in those days. Since Marcus came, I can build Swarm. It is not over-engineered. It is engineered to actually work and build. And the design is clear enough so that people can come along and add things. I do agree with the idea that it would be nice to have an R-like modular Swarm thing so that it would be easy to add in components. Take a look at the modular things you already have, like the graph lib or JJ's GA thing. But maintainers seem to quit maintaining, we can't put those into the core of Swarm unless someone is willing to maintain them, and nobody is. Same is true for the applications in the swarmapps-objc. There could be more there, but nobody steps up to maintain old programs like "market". It may be that there are many better ways to build models, if so, tell me how. Give some code, show a product.
pj

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086