Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm D

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm Developmen Group)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:18:49 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
So first you said it is simple.  Now you say it's not simple?  Sheesh.
It's a simple matter to use the R embedding techniques once you take some time to learn them. A fair amount of details, but a good manual and knowledgeable people on the mailing list that can answer questions. The kind of person I'm talking about here is someone that has written some C or Fortran library code and is in the position of either not wanting to rewrite that in R (feasibility), or it not being appropriate to write in R itself (due to scaling or compute speed). When I say simple, I mean simple in this context. A worthwhile endeavor for someone wanting to share an a library with a larger set of users that may or may not have the skills or inclination to do the task themselves.

Further the endeavor that the R developers engaged in when they made this system is a completely separate, and a larger, one from the package contributor developers, or for that matter the users of either R or the said contributed packages.

Anyway, as far as embedding Swarm goes, the current code is about 80% of where it would need to be to server this package contributor audience. In all likelihood, it wouldn't be so much of a package contributor audience, as with R, but more of a population of ABM simulation integrators. People integrating simulations for models involving multiple software packages (Swarm being just one component).

I do not that I think elaborating this stuff is an important thing to do relative to other possible SDG - funded efforts. I'm saying that if someone wants to explore embedding the existing Swarm library, the infrastructure is reasonably adaptable and complete. Speaking only for myself, in the best possible world, I think would be great to see the SDG fund an array of things ranging from ABM research programs to prototype software development to software maintenance. Software maintenance is one core competency, though.