Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm D

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] development priorities (was Re: Membership inSwarm Developmen Group)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:53:38 +1100

Marcus wrote:
That's not necessarily true. Optimization of particular solutions and particular problems are well-covered by R and/or other packages. But, I haven't seen any tools that help optimize ABMs. The amount of work to
do what Scott describes inside R is huge.

It's a simple matter to control foreign code from R. Of the hundreds of contributed packages for R, many of them physically include compiled C++ and Fortran. R can run MPI codes, or SOAP (RPCs over http/XML), and so on. The point is to leverage the expertise of people that know actually know about these algorithms.

For the little that my opinion might be worth, I am right behind Marcus on this

glen e. p. ropella wrote:

 Basically what Mono (http://www.go-mono.com)
or .NET does.   That way there could be a smooth transition to
autonomous development groups we'd get a way from the Objective C lock,

And it wasn't to "get away from" objective-c. It was simply to support
our users.

Indeed, Objective C is not a commodity technology. As a platform this has meant time that could have gone into creating modeling features that didn't (instead struggling to make the compiler do what we needed). Some of this complexity was the Swarm project's doing (across personnel) and some of it was just the on again off again nature of Objective C, esp. at Apple. As an unusual language this meant confusion for users. Neither is desirable and users have said that.

With the resurgence of Apple from a basket case to one of the most profitable companies in the computer business, Objective-C is really not marginal. It is very much alive. The compiler problems really are history. Also the convergence between Apple and GNU versions has made it a lot more portable. Phases might be seen as an issue because they will be outside the ken of thousands of new Objective-C programmers brought up on Cocoa/GNUStep. Of course there is the small matter of messages to nil, but I promise not to go there again.

I have no idea what the discussion about ports to new CPUs is about. Swarm runs quite happily on 64bit machines and if we can complete the transition to a standard Objective-C runtime it will be extremely portable.

The current build system is very functional, but I agree with Paul that when first encountered, it was a bit of a nightmare. To me the problem is lack of documentation. We needed a 'Swarm porting guide' or similar that explains to potential packagers how the build system works.

Finally a mea culpa for having made very little contribution recently, but I need to finish off a Phd in the next few months and the ABM stuff is outside the scope of it. However, it is very much a follow on and I have collaborators who are interested and can get funding.

Bill Northcott