Re: [Swftools-common] basic question on ActionScript 2.0

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] basic question on ActionScript 2.0
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 03:29:47 +0000

On Monday, October 28, 2013, 10:32:14 PM, Lists wrote:
> John Sullivan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Write a small perl script (or similar) to convert the source timeline
>> data into ActionScript variable declarations within a .action block
>> in a separate file.

> The source timeline data produced could itself could be considered to be
> under some form of ( copyright ) licensing, if an individual so chose,
> no? ;o)

Obviously, as a derived work of the original timeline data.

However, as a separate and replaceable file, that is only incorporated
into the final SWF at compile time, it does not encumber the main .sc
file which remains compatible with the GPL (or whatever other license
may be applicable/desired.)

>> Use .include from the main .sc to incorporate those declarations into
>> the final SWF.

> It's been a long while since I played with swfc ( compiling as2 ).  As
> far as I can recall, it never supported the .include statement.  Does it
> now?

Certainly appears to. I've been using it to implement modular widgets
for inclusion into other .sc files.

(Excitingly, you won't find it in the list of other directives in
swfc.c - it appears to be implemented at a lower level in the file
reader itself, so swfc just sees one big combined file.)

>> Both the script and the main .sc remain unencumbered, the "end user"
>> will need to provide their own source data to complete compilation.

> Yes, John, but as above, isn't that exactly what Pablo was concerned
> about?  The licensing nature of the source data created by the end
> user?

The copyright and license of the timeline data are what they are. I
read his mail as wanting to distribute the source .sc file under a
license that may not be compatible with that - which separating the
two completely at the source level should provide.

Of course, once compiled into the final SWF, that becomes a derivative
of both, and if the licenses are incompatible, potentially
undistributable in binary form.

At which point the only choice may be to put the data in separate
files alongside the SWF on the server and use URLLoader to pull it in.

John
--
Dead stars still burn