[Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Richard Bos
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:31:01 +0100

A question about terminology, I'm forwarding the question:

==== forwarded question ====
On Monday 12 January 2004 02:17, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op zondag 11 januari 2004 14:40, schreef Albert:
> > I am confused by the meaning of "obsolete and locally installed" as
> > a category in Synaptic.  Just what does this category mean?  The
> > installed and latest versions of "obsolete and locally installed"
> > software are the same.  Furthermore they all seem to be very
> > important required packages.  Thanks to anyone who can clarify.
>
> Can you provide a better description of where this term "obsolete and
> locally installed" is found in synaptic.  Include e.g. all the steps
> involved to come to the right the dialogue that shows the term.

Using Synaptic 0.47:

When the "Show:" button has "All Packages" or "Reduced View" selected,
there are three nodes, i.e. three categories, displayed under
"Package": Installed, Not Installed and Obsolete and locally installed.

When the "Show: button has "Installed" selected, there are two nodes
displayed: Installed and Obsolete and locally installed.
==== forwarded question ====

The view option must be set to "status tree" as well.

I agree with the questioner that in my case too, the packages are not obsolete
at all, they are just installed without being part of a repository!  I think
that the term obsolete is not correct.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless