Re: OK, lets get this to work!!

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: OK, lets get this to work!!
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:38:42 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Gérald,

> I am attaching the debug buffer as a file since it is quite long, I think
> it is redundant since I let tramp try for some time and I think the same
> error is just repeated again and again, but I'm sending everything just in
> case!!!  I am not sure but it might be the prompt on the server side that
> is causing problem???
>
> The prompt, server side is: "address@hidden ~]$",  The "~" by the
> directory name of where we are.

Just a quick check. That prompt does not seem to be the problem; Tramp
did continue. The problem is something different. Tramp sends the command

> 10:39:33.481000 tramp-send-command (6) # stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U' erase
> '^H'

And it sees as result

> 10:39:33.531000 tramp-accept-process-output (10) #
> stty -inlcr -echo kill '^U' erase '^H'
> #$ #$

It looks like the famous "double prompt" bug we have been faced with
years ago. In the ChangeLog there is an entry for Tramp 2.1.12, claiming
it is solved. But you are running Tramp 2.1.20. And the fix description
sounds different from what I see in your traces.

This needs more analysis I will spend when I'm back. If you have time and
courage, you might install the recent Tramp 2.2.6 from the repository,
and see whether it helps.

Sorry that I cannot analyze further, but I'm in a hurry.