wesnoth-dev

Re[2]: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Revision Reasons

From: Nils Kneuper
Subject: Re[2]: [Wesnoth-dev] Drake Revision Reasons
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:20:23 +0200

>In fact - you know what?  I'm going to do just that.  I'll give you
>back your saurian magic attack unit, and make the elves more unique in
>having a healing capability that others don't.  No one ever uses the
>tribalist for it's healing, and the elvish shaman looks mighty sad next
>to previous state of the tribalist.  This saves me several hours of
>work in animating the healing frames, which I am not getting paid for.

I strongly have to disagree with this statement. I do not know, how
often you played drakes in MP, but i played them very often. The
normal tactic is to have a "front row" of attackers and a 2nd row of
supporters. These are the skirmishers and the tribalists. The
triblists are able too heal my poor front soldiers and jump in if
there is a high defense unit. The skirmisher can go in, to take a very
strong oponent out, but they get killed quite often. You can not put
the Tribalist into the first rwo, because of very low hp. This makes
it balanced again. If you use it for attacking, you do HAVE to defeat
the enemy and guard your tribalist again, because they are the first
target for enemy attacks. This makes it interesting to play the
drakes. If you are not carefull enough, you lose these important
units. If you are carefull, you got a good chance of holding the
position.
And I also think that really NOONE ever has discussed with you, what
it would mean,if the healing was removed from the tribalist. This is a
very important change, though. Please do not forget this. Maybe you
should talk to the Devs for MP-Development *before* you change units
and races in such a harsh way. They kindly offerd their help, why not
help them in getting good balancing. I think they really do have good
ideas, and maybe there could be a mix of both of your ideas be the
best solution in the end. But this is not possible, if you do changes
like this.
Greets,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic