Re: Getting email from MS outlook into emacs

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: Re: Getting email from MS outlook into emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 09:40:48 +0100

Hi,

not that I have a solution, but I would like to know one as well. Ever
since my organization moved to more or less exclusively Outlook, email
as working tool (for me) has constantly deteriorated. 2FA was one of the
last of the innovations, that was hard to "work with" as non
Microsoft/Outlook user (not Mac for me by emacs/linux). It's
increasingly frustrating, since it's a small drip-drip-drip downhill
experience. Once you get it sort of working again after it broke again,
they roll out a new "improvement" or feature after some time, which
perhaps adds some fancy wrinkles to the constellation of tremendous
things outlooks probably offers (I am just waiting for the
CHATGTP-plug-in that answers your emails for yourself...), but that
leaves people like me out in the rain, someone who just wants a
reliable, stable plain old email server which is widely compatible (even
if only backward compatible) and the leaves the choice of mailreader(s)q
to the user.

There seem to be features, that I don't want to get used to (seem like
auto-expire, emails vanish if read but not handled properly or
something), other emails I delete constantly re-awake (but in an expired
status, but still shown for me), other are undeletable (which leaves me
with a huge zombie-inbox), some are never shown in emacs-gnus.

So, I tried different approaches, all did not work (or stopped working
after a while, maybe after new "improvements" on the server side),
including davmail, procmail, and some other "sync" solutions if forgot,
but the main stumbling stone seemed 2FA ever since that was
introduced. I did not try mbsync though (maybe I will when I have time),
so I cannot really help.

But as said, I'd be likewise interested in directions for approaches. My
current goal is not to get access to the server enabled properly again,
but to get the emails (automatically) off the server, like 20+ years
ago, when internet and access to servers was unrealiable over "modem"
dial-ups. So back to the future, so to say.

best, Martin