Re: naming: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: naming: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 15:16:03 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> Special blocks are really block-level elements. I see similarity,
> however with a better term we could avoid "inline" specifier. I think,
> the new beast may serve in some cases currently handled by macros.
> LaTeX snippets are named "fragments" in the manual.
>
> Custom fragment?

I think "custom" is an important part of defining the new object. Unlike
other elements/objects, such as emphasis marks, this one does not add
any (let's say) "logical or semantic" information. I mean, emphasis
marks (to continue with the example) are useful when reading an Org
document as it is. But the new object is rather a segment of text that
must be exported in a certain way to LaTeX, odt, HTML, etc. Something
like "&foo{some text}" does not provide any information to the reader,
but rather to the exporters and the output format. So, how about
something like:

- Custom Export Fragment

- Custom Export Span

- Custom Export "Whatever"

- ...

?

(I especially like "span" because of the similarity with html and family.
Pandoc uses the term bracketed spans for its custom markdown).

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño
editorial y ortotipografía