Re: naming: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: naming: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:34:38 +0700

On 06/03/2024 17:56, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

Custom inline markup.

"Markup" is something abstract to my taste. I would prefer something
related to concrete instances of such objects.

IMHO, the whole point of the discussed construct is exactly being abstract
and multi-purpose.

Almost everything in Org syntax may be called "markup", so using this word for a specific object may lead to confusion unless a couple of extra words are added to make it clear what kind of markup is referred to.

I had an idea to name new object "markup macro" since its role is close to existing macro ("substitution macro"), but I discarded it because "markup" is too general.

Decorators sometimes stressed as "inline decorators"?

I dislike "decorators" because it is not a term we use anywhere in Org
mode. I'd prefer to reuse an existing term, if at all possible.

I had a hope to find a unique word that will be convenient for usage in discussions, a term that will be uniformly used in the manual and in the syntax specification.

If others are happy to name "block" instances that are neither solid nor shaped as blocks then I see no point to continue this discussion.

P.S. I am neutral in respect to "span".