Re: `:export' attribute?: Re: Experimental public branch for inline spec

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: `:export' attribute?: Re: Experimental public branch for inline special blocks
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 13:10:17 +0000

Thank you for your comments.

Max Nikulin writes:

> On 15/03/2024 09:19, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
>> The attribute supports one or more elements separated by a space. Each
>> element can be any of the following signs: "*" (export only the
>> content), "-" (do not export), "=" (export the rest normally), "=*"
>> (export the rest, but only the content), "=-" (do not export the rest).
>> Additionally, backend names can be given explicitly, alone or
>> accompanied by the "*" or "-" signs, that is (where "backend" equals the
>> name of the backend):
>
> 1. "-" is a valid backend name and valid last character of backend name

I had not thought of it. Can + also be a valid character?

> 2. From the description it is not clear to me what is effect of "rest"
> specified for more than one backend.

'rest' (=) is equivalent to the rest of the backends that have not been
explicitly set. What happens is that, with my current approach, if you
want to export only one backend, you must enter:

:export backend =- (that is, export this backend and not the rest)

This is not ideal. It should be enough to just put:

:export backend

but I am not able to achieve it.

> I have had into the code. I would expect something like the following
> (characters may be changed, the code is not heavily tested). Two
> characters from the following groups may be appended to backend name:
>
> + full (default)
> * content
> / skip
> (these ones may be used without backed name to specify fallback action)
>
> = this and derived backends (default)
> . this, but not derived backends
> Perhaps it is necessary to add possibility that
> these rules may coexist (use loop instead of assoc)

OK. How about the following?

- Single characters (they affect everything, if backend name is not
  specified, or the rest, if backend name is specified:

  * content
  / skip
  . never export derived backends
  = full, this and derived backends (default)

- And in combination with backend names (some examples):

  :export latex* > content to LaTeX, normal to the rest

  :export latex/ > do not export to LaTeX

  :export latex. > do not export to LaTeX derived backends

  :export latex . > export normally to LaTeX but do not export the derived
backends in the rest of the cases

  etc.

These days I'm going to be a little short on time, due to work, and I
don't know if I'll be able to attend to the list. I want to calmly take
a look at the code you share.