Re: [Gnash-dev] Stable branch of Gnash

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Stable branch of Gnash
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 14:42:06 +0200

> >   *  We keep the tree compiling and passing its test suite almost
> >      every day.
>
> +1

This unfortunately also does not address the real problem. Take an
example from yesterday:

I run the testsuite and find it broken. Although I generally trust the
testsuite, I run it in the proprietary player to verify that it's
accurate. I look at the Gnash code and revert it so that the testsuite
passes again.

Then:

> -// test the System::security.allowDomain method
> -check_equals ( typeof(System.security.allowDomain), 'function' );
> -
> -// test the System.security.loadPolicyFile method
> -check_equals ( typeof(System.security.loadPolicyFile), 'function');
> -

What does the maintainer do? He drops the tests! Now he can put his
broken code back in, and no one need ever notice!

Only the misc-haxe.all testsuite System tests fail again, so there was
evidently no testsuite run before this commit either.

If someone so clearly fails to understand even what the testsuite is for
after *years* of trying to work on Gnash, where is the prospect of
improvement?

A more appropriate discussion is how Gnash can be properly maintained,
and who is in a position to do it, as I am not prepared to contribute to
trunk under present conditions (even if my commit access weren't
revoked).

bwy

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.7