Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:24:54 -0400

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 17:13 -0400, Patrick wrote:
> "This is not a "betrayal of charitable efforts." This is the free
> software culture working as intended."
>
> ask the GIMP developers then:
>
> "IMPORTANT: GIMP AND OPENSOURCE SCAM ON *EBAY*!
> <http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/IMPORTANT-GIMP-AND-OPENSOURCE-SCAM-ON-EBAY-tp22744p22764.html>"
>
> http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=2&query=ebay&i=12
>
> Obviously many people feel betrayed.

Who in those threads are GIMP developers? There are as many people on
that list making the same points people on this list are making -- that
it is perfectly fine to sell free software.

> "This is an FSF mailing list. You will not find anyone to help you find
> a non-free license to use."
>
> This is the kind of mentality really infuriates me!
>
> It's ironic that FSF has something in common with W George Bush and the
> near-far right but it does.
>
> "W" is a good speech reader, when he can remember the lines that were
> written for him. On line that was distressing for many people including
> me, was:
>
> "your either with us or your with the terrorists"
>
> Spoken shortly after 9/11
>
> This is the kind of mentality I have encountered before with the FSF.
> Live up to our 4 freedoms or your against us. Live up to our definition
> of free or your with the mega-corps. I am sick of this and so are the
> people being driven away from the FSF, read the many blogs.

Well, yes, if you are not in support of the FSF's position, you are in
some various state of disagreement with the FSF. Whether that means you
agree with the FSF's terminal goals is another issue, but in this case,
you and the FSF do disagree, and people on this mailing list are aligned
with the FSF. You won't find help here.

Also, have you checked the FSF's published list of corporate donors?
Google and other "mega-corps" are high on the list. There is nothing
anti-corporate about the FSF.

> There are different kinds of oppression that the FSF does not address
> and freedoms that it ignores.

Of course. The FSF is an organization with a specific mission. It's not
explicitly feminist, anti-racist, anti-fascist, or leftist, either, as I
personally would like it to be, but none of those causes are what the
FSF exists to uphold.

The FSF exists to promote free software, and you are asking people on an
FSF-sponsored list to help you pick a software license that is
explicitly non-free according to the definition published by the FSF.

Personally, I don't think you're doing anything horrifically wrong (the
consequences of your actions are likely to be small, so I don't
particularly care about your actions themselves), but you certainly
don't seem to be acting very strategically. If your goal is to find a
license that prohibits commercial use, this is the wrong forum to ask
that question in.

--
Sent from Ubuntu