Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community orien

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] help with FSF incompatible but community oriented licence(s)
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 17:37:38 -0400

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 17:33 -0400, Patrick wrote:
> Hi Mark, Hi Ted
>
> Again this is your with us or against us. Regardless of the licence, if
> the code ships with source code am I not somewhere up the ladder from
> closed source, am I not?

No, you aren't. "Free software" is a term defined here:
<https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html>

It's a binary classification -- either you meet the four freedoms, or
you don't.

> Can you not come down from your Ivory tower and help me to find an
> alternative to closed source software(which is looking better then when
> I first posted)

This list is not the appropriate form to do that.

> I think it is better to give clean needles to drug addicts then to
> spread HIV.  Whether or not you agree with me should not be the issue,
> only finding as many alternatives to closed source as possible, even if
> that is a gradient.

It's not so much about agreeing with you, it's about this list being an
FSF forum. This is not the place to ask for advice on making non-free
software licenses.

I don't believe the FSF recognizes any "gradient" of freedom -- just
licenses that meet their criteria for free software, and licenses that
don't.

--
Sent from Ubuntu