Re: [paragui-users] ParaGUI && Embedded C++

From: Teunis Peters
Subject: Re: [paragui-users] ParaGUI && Embedded C++
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:23:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Roger D. Vargas wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Teunis Peters wrote:
>

> > well I've started on a rewrite.  Could take a bit - I'll post a download
> > when it's ready.  Complete rewrite in C.  Probably make it a bit more
> > modular too.  *grin*
>
> You mean a complete rewrite in old C? What about inheritance and classes?
> Dont think Im against such change, that is exactly what I need, but seems
> a painful change.

*g*
I've been doing object oriented C since I first discovered that it could
be done -years- ago from the jpeg source.

inheritance?  No prob...
struct c
{
  struct a d;
  int moredata;

  void (*callme)(time_t when);
};

does data inheritance.  A little more overhead for those talking with
struct c, but it's binary compatible except for size with struct a.

Classes?
*heh*
no biggy.

The biggest thing you lose is the public/protected/private split.
Well, that and operator overloads.

though a couple of things....
1. I'm sticking with auto*.  It does the job I need it to...
2. I'll add hooks for installing script languages... and extensions...
        (but I won't include any...  although I am going to try and write
        a scheme and/or a ruby driver :)
        (and possibly python)
        No swig.  it doesn't work for me.  I've -never- had it
        successfully run on any of my machines.
3. Hooks for subprocesses to do display.  Who knows.  Shouldn't be core
        but it'd be a nice extension lib.  (I've already written it -
        it's just a case of making it work with paragui :)
4. expect more hooks for 3D/opengl.  NOT a core either but an intended sub
driver... *g*

G'day, eh? :)
        - Teunis