access-activists

Re: [Access-activists] Next Set of Tasks for GAI

From: Christian Hofstader
Subject: Re: [Access-activists] Next Set of Tasks for GAI
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 08:33:49 -0400

What then can we do to pressure web developers into making their sites accessible? Do we take the lawsuit approah like NFB or educate the proprietors and just sit back and wait for change?

cdh: If Macy's didn't allow black people in it would be a national outcry; if Amazon doesn't let blinks in we are supposed to be happy as a clam while we watch them ignore us?

cdh: Sometimes, one has to throw a brick.

cdh: We will offer them test results from running testing tools on their sites, we will afford them the opportunity of having our volunteers work with them to remidiate their site, we will give them n months to come into compliance, we'll start a petition to hopefully add a little pressure, we can put them onto our wall of shame but celebrate corrections when they happen and, our last order of biz, we will work with the disability law center in Boston to threaten and then take legal action.

Peter is correct, though, web accessibility is probably not an issue for FSF to campaign so all of this may be mute.

Ideas?

cdh