access-activists

Re: [Access-activists] Next Set of Tasks for GAI

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Access-activists] Next Set of Tasks for GAI
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:48:15 -0400

    One key strategy is to make accessible authoring tools available that
    are capable of producing accessible web content. We need to be able to
    point to tools that people can use effectively. For too long accessible
    web content has required too much by-and tweaking and expert knowledge.

I agree (though please let's not call web pages "content").  Can you
make a list of what tools are we missing?

    Last time I looked, its 'Save As' html was still generating
    problematic html. If memory serves, I saw things like hard-coded fonts,
    bolds, etc. These should be CSS, of course.

Have you reported this problem to the developers?  We in GNU have no
involvement in OpenOffice development although we generally wish them
well.

    In parallel, we should follow up with CMS systems.

If that means "content management systems", note that "content" means
"something or other" and "management" means "doing whatever", so a
"content management system" is a system to do whatever to something or
other.  Not a very informative name.