Re: [avr-chat] UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] UISP / AVRDude : what to choose ?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:56:25 -0400

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:28:39AM +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:

> BTW Brian, '-c' to list programmers and '-p' for chips, I thought it was
> a typo at first (but it's not, I tried ;-). I mean wouldn't it be more
> logical (hence easier to remember) to use 'c' for CCChips, and 'p' for
> 'PPPProgrammers' ?

Of course not, -p is for <p>art and -c is for <c>onfiguration :-)

Ok, well, yes probably flipping makes more sense now.  But as Joerg
alluded, when I originally wrote AVRDUDE (then AVRPROG), the _only_
programmer was the PC parallel port.  However, I did support muliple
"wirings" of the parallel port, and hence the option for selecting
which pinout/wiring was "configuration", thus the -c option.

Just before I made the project public, I implemented the STK500
programmer support.  This was a pretty radical change internally as it
abstracted the programmer type to a more "device driver" or "object"
oriented design.  Before releasing to a public repository, I wanted to
make sure and do this because I had a pretty good idea for how I
wanted it done and that way I could ensure that the model was already
in place.

At that time, Ted Roth ported to Linux, and Eric Weddington did the
port to Windows, so we quickly became cross platform.  Since then,
many additional parallel port configurations were added as well as new
programmer types.

Most recently, Erik Walthinsen has implemented the new STK500 V2
protocol, Joerg Wunsch has implemented JTAG ICE MkII protocol.  These
will be definitely be available in the 5.0 release.

Also, Michael Holtz is working on supporting "bit bang serial".  This
is similar in concept to the original parallel port bit banging method
of programming, except it uses the serial port lines instead of the
parallel port.  This support may or may not make it into 5.0.  I hope
it is ready, but I can't say for sure - that will be up to Michael's
schedule.

Lastly, we look to have some USB patches floating around which also
will probably come on-board soon.

So ... lots of good stuff coming.

-Brian
--