RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:37:24 -0400

On September 4, 2006 6:07 PM Tim Daly wrote:

> If you want a silver branch that contains the latest patches
> I'm willing to maintain that. But SVN is not a good place to
> do that it seems.

Tim, I think your conclusion is still to "hasty". Yes, SVN has
problems, but like the other systems I am confident that it can
be made to work.

> Since people don't like Arch or CVS perhaps we could consider
> darcs which Bill seems to love (and which is the only system
> we haven't yet tried).

I am sure that we could find ways to screw-up darcs also. :) There
are quite a few projects do use darcs, including Sage and it seems
to be popular with lisp projects:

  http://www.cliki.net/admin/search?words=darcs

But I would *not* recommend that we switch to darcs now - even
though I do think it is a better source code control system.

> Failing that I'd be happy to set up a silver Arch branch.

I think we need to resolve the problems Tim is having with SVN
and then get on with what we have been planning for the last
few months with Axiom Silver on SVN.