Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:46:18 +0200

my major problem is that svn appears to have lost my work.
the WHOLE point of version control is NEVER to lose work.
thus SVN appears to miss the main reason it exists.

clearly this must be something i'm doing wrong
but after twice reading the docs and much frustration
i give up.

Why don't you ask for help at the axiom-developer mailing list?
If you tell what you want to achieve, maybe someone is giving you the right commands and you could save your time instead of reading the svn-book several times. You probably only need 3 or 4 commands with any SCM. But it's always better if someone tells you what and how to use it.

And I believe you are wrong. It's not svn that gets the binary wrong.
I did the following, and the picture was ok. I would have been very much surprised if the Subversion people made such a big mistake for a .jpg file that very much looks binary. svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /home/hemmecke/scratch/SVNMYTEST
cd ~/scratch
mkdir axiom
cd axiom
cp ~/OTHER/Axiom/axiom--main--1--patch-50/axiom* .
svn import . file:///home/hemmecke/scratch/SVNMYTEST/AXIOM
Adding  (bin)  axiomicon.png
Adding  (bin)  axiom30yr.jpg
Adding  (bin)  axiomsml.png
Adding  (bin)  axiomlogo.jpg

Committed revision 1.
cd ~/scratch
svn co file:///home/hemmecke/scratch/SVNMYTEST/AXIOM ax
A    ax/axiomicon.png
A    ax/axiom30yr.jpg
A    ax/axiomsml.png
A    ax/axiomlogo.jpg
Checked out revision 1.
display ax/axiom30yr.jpg

Anyway the difference of the pictures from Gold and Silver/trunk is a translation of 0x0d to 0x0a in several places.

Maybe the picture is already broken in CVS and was wrongly moved from CVS to SVN?

Ralf