Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:34:23 +0200

I'm not familiar with Antoine's branch to comment.

I am sure Antoine comments on it.

As of the build-improvements, we have some work there that might not
cleanly apply to a fresh tree from gold -- I really don't know, that
is just a first approximation thought.

Well, my problem is that I don't know what happens if I simply remove the svn:eol-style and svn:keywords properties. We should certainly remove the svn:keywords property from ALL files. The svn:eol-style would probably not do any harm since internally svn stores the files with a Unix line end marker. The problem is that all binaries that are in SVN might be corrupt inside the archive, since if the svn:eol-style property is set, then svn translates 0x0D to 0x0A (Mac -> Unix) while putting the file into the svn repository. So no matter whether I delete the property now, the file is corrupt. (My guess, I haven't actually checked it.)

So basically, the procedure would be.

1) Remove the svn:keywords property from ALL files.
2) Remove the svn:eol-style property from binary files (maybe even ALL
   would be OK???)
3) Checkout a fresh copy of silver/trunk.
4) Copy all source files from --patch-50 to silver/trunk.
5) Commit the change.
   My wild guess is that svn only commits the files that actually differ
   from the repository. I hope that svn does not take the copy date into
   account.

I don't know whether the property change can be merged with the build-improvements. Any experience?

Do you believe we cannot fix the other "binary" type files without
restarting afresh (would have been much simpler if we did not have other
branches)?

See question above. Does anybody have experience with merging properties from one branch to another?

Before any change to the trunk is done. We should make clear that it would be the right procedure.

Ralf