RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SVN problems
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 17:56:55 -0400

On September 4, 2006 3:46 PM Ralf Hemmecke
> Anyway the difference of the pictures from Gold and Silver/trunk
> is a translation of 0x0d to 0x0a in several places.
>
> Maybe the picture is already broken in CVS and was wrongly moved
> from CVS to SVN?

Yes, there are still some files in the Axiom CVS that are not
properly marked as binary. When using just CVS this doesn't
matter because CVS does not mangle text file contents. At least
on SourceForge when moving a file from CVS to SVN the binary or
text attribute from CVS is retained. SVN does mangle text files,
recreating what it thinks are proper line endings. I recall that
we discussed this a few months ago when we first set up the SVN
repository.

However Tim did write:

> I marked several hundred files as 'binary', including these
> jpg files.

I am not sure if he was referring to CVS or SVN but obviously
these files should be marked correctly in both places. And your
test shows that this is done automatically by 'svn import' without
having to "mark" them. But I presume that Tim was trying to change
the binary attribute of files that were already in SVN with the
wrong attribute (having been copied from CVS). Perhaps to correct
this problem it is necessary to remove these files first and then
re-import them? Or to mark them properly in CVS and move them
again?