discuss-gnu-electric

Re: Probably stupid problem...

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: Re: Probably stupid problem...
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:52:17 -0700

I'm a first time user of Electric and made a very simple circuit with
three JK FFs. I connected the JKs of the first to PWR, and the
JKs of the second to the Q of the first. The JKs of the third
go to an AND of Q0 and Q1. I believe this is the standard connection
for a sync counter. Clocks are common.

When simulating though, only the first JK acts normally (div 2).

I've tried to connect the PRESET and CLR to 1 and 0 etc. I guess I'm
missing something very basic here...

The implementation of FlipFlops is not complete in the built-in ALS simulator. This is why some of them don't respond under simulation. Check the VHDL and the netlist code to see more.

I've installed IRSIM, and find I can't define a clock signal? How can I
excite a circuit?

There is an IRSIM "c" command that cycles a particular signal up and down. You can enter this from the "command line" or by placing it into a "cmd" file. Alternatively, you can toggle things by hand (the hard way).

Also, the time scale in IRSIM is very short - ns or thereabouts. How to change
that? The horizontal scrollbar on the time bar only changes to the left,
it's right side is locked in the middle of the range and doesn't move.

You can fix it in the code, or you can simply zoom out once the window appears. Use the same commands to zoom the waveform viewer as you do for circuits (Window/Zoom Out).

When loading a library, by default the home directory appears. If one tries
to change directory by modifying the path, without a filename, Electric
hangs...

No, don't change the path field. That tells Electric where to find its needed library files. There should be some UNIX way to set the default directory, but I don't know what it is.

     -Steven Rubin