Re: Lexical bindings (was Re: table.el)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Lexical bindings (was Re: table.el)
Date: 05 Dec 2001 01:33:51 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> `lexical-binding' is not a "normal" variable.  That is (in the current
> implementation, at least), its value is only noticed in a few places,
> notably, during loading, by `eval-region' & friends, and by the
> byte-compiler.  The only place it really make sense to set it is in a
> file-header, or as a buffer-local variable to affect code evaluated in
> that buffer.

The more I learn about this, the more messy it gets :-)

Does CL also allow you to choose lexical or dynamic binding on a
per-file basis?

What kind of binding is used in *scratch* ?

I also wondering how does lexical binding work with the edebugger?
E.g. if I eval the following code with dynamic binding, I can
check the value of x and y using M-: x  and M-: y when the
error happens (z is not bound):
 (let ((x 1) (y 2)) (setq y z))

Can I do the same with lexical binding of x and y?