Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: 16 May 2002 10:19:48 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> I was advocating for adding a very simple way for packages to query
> the user for "trivial" selections as an alternative to using keymaps
> and adding prompting at the same time...

Sure.  There already quite a few existing `mini menus' in emacs, e.g.,
the query-replace `what should I do' prompt, and the various things in
Gnus (the gnus implemenation is particularly nice, I think).

They are generally slightly different than your code in that they don't
usually call a function based on the result, but rather just do some
dispatch on their own, but the concept is similar.  Additionally, most
of them seem to have a help function, so if you hit `?' or `C-h', a help
buffer is popped up.

So, perhaps we should think of unifying these all in some way, rather
than adding yet-another different implementation of the same thing.
Since most of the other cases (that I can think of) don't do a funcall,
what you want could be a layer on top of some shared `menu display and
prompting' function.

Maybe such a merge isn't a good idea, but I think it should at least be
thought about...

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?