Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [patch] XPM in gamegrid.el
Date: 08 Jul 2002 10:34:50 +0900

For making faces buffer-local, I think it would be nice if we could
somehow use emacs' variable mechanism, since it already allows both
buffer-local and frame-local values, and is fairly featureful and
familiar to developers.

One suggestion I made a while ago would be to have face names be global,
but to allow a remapping step via a variable, which the programmer could
use to select a different face, for instance, if it were an alist
[maybe a hash-table etc would also be good], you might do:

  (setq face-remappings '((default . my-buffer-default)))

to give your buffer a different default face.

I remember when I suggested this idea before, Gerd didn't like it, but
unfortunately, I don't remember his reasons; does anyone else?

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!