Re: Gud lord!

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Gud lord!
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:27:23 -0400

    > The term "open source" is the name of a movement that was formed in
    > 1998 to reject the free software movement's ideals.

    In my opinion, not so much reject as downplay them, in order to
    sucker^W convince people to develop free software that wouldn't think
    of doing so `merely' for the sake of freedom.

They reject any public statement endorsing our ideals, and their
statements often contradict these ideals.  Some open source supporters
may believe in these ideals privately, but that movement rejects them.

    I'd consider some of the capitalization achieved for free software
    companies (like RedHat that acquired Cygnus and thus keeps GCC going
    financially) to be due to the "Open Software" hype at that time.

Some GCC developers work for Red Hat, but it is a mistake to say that
Red Hat "keeps GCC going".  GCC isn't a Red Hat product and was not a
Cygnus product.  Cygnus used to say things which gave that impression,
and we were frequently angry at them.  Fortunately Red Hat doesn't
seem to try to do that.