Re: Bug tracking

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:04:57 +0300

> When I started the thread, I was talking mainly about exactly *that*;
> it's more difficult to manage open bugs that ideas for new developments
> or things to finish

I agree.  It's a pity so many bug reports are already lost in
bug-gnu-emacs archives without being registered and categorized
by their severity and status.

> (etc/TODO could be used for that, even if it isn't right now).

As I see it, the purpose of etc/TODO is to manage ideas rather
than open bugs.  Open bugs could be placed to a separate file.

So a set of database text files might contain only four files:

etc/BUGS
etc/TODO
etc/DONE
etc/NEWS

That's all that's needed for the simplest issue tracker.

Another question is how to add new bug reports to the BUGS file.
I think this is the task of Emacs developers to register bug
reports from bug-gnu-emacs in the BUGS file, because usually
Emacs users who report bugs on bug-gnu-emacs can't assign right
categories and severity levels to reported bugs.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/