Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Fixing report-emacs-bug
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:45:04 -0400

    I thought about this, but the thing is: the external bug reporting
    facility will run the mail client and cause it to start a new message
    editor. If we changed sendmail.el, we would present users with the
    internal editor first (for bug-reporting), then show them the same e-
    mail again in their external editor. That'd be confusing.

Maybe, but I think suitable messages could avoid the confusion.

    Yet, one could augment compose-mail to start the external agent. But
    I assume such changes would have knock-on effects that would be best
    considered after the release. Right?

Not necessarily.  If it is a completely new path of control flow,
and it only gets used on the Mac, it won't break anything.